• Display
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice on qulaity of photos...colour v B/W

After some ideas or advice. To my eye the black and white photos I take are far better than the colour ones. Some of my B & W are pretty good but the colour ones range from boring to "nice".....the sort of photo your mum likes. I must be missing something or doing something quite basic wrong. I just can't figure out what. Below are 2 sets for comparison. I really like both the B & W but as usual the colour ones are missing something. Thanks for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Advice on qulaity of photos...colour v B/W

I guess we comment from personal preference. With the examples you've given, I prefer the color version of the 'tunnel' shot for the lift the sky gives the image. I find the B&W version a bit flat.

In my opinion the jetty shot works much better in Black and white as it give more definition to the clouds and a better over-all contrast. The color version suffers a bit from the color cast thrown from the incandescent lights and lack of contrast between sea and sky.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong as such. Color shots often look better taken late in the day or early to get those pastel tones. They can work at anytime though with a little thought put into the composition.

Sometimes a complimentary color like a red flower or a person wearing a red sweater in an overall greenish scene can be positioned in the framing to give it a lift. Dark Blue and yellow work well together. At times the smallest detail will make a huge difference.

I often try a black and white conversion on a color shot just to see if I like it better. It's all good, and fun checking out what works and what doesn't.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by idle_moments View Post
    After some ideas or advice. To my eye the black and white photos I take are far better than the colour ones. Some of my B & W are pretty good but the colour ones range from boring to "nice".....the sort of photo your mum likes. I must be missing something or doing something quite basic wrong. I just can't figure out what. Below are 2 sets for comparison. I really like both the B & W but as usual the colour ones are missing something. Thanks for your help.
    Hi Idle_ (not Eric by any chance) You're not doing anything wrong ! Simple as that! In fact you are doing what any keen photographer does and being critical of his work and sometimes it can manifest itself into questioning what your doing, what you've got and what you should be doing.
    I'd be happy with any of these shots B/W or colour. Good comp and colour (although I hate looking at a good pic in small sizes we have on the forum) and about the only thing I'd like to see is having a person walking on the sand to help draw your eye out. But thats just my personal preference.
    And personal preference is all subjective.
    I did a little experiment with family and friends a couple of years ago (without them knowing) where I'd show them various pics over several months and get their views on them. I intentionally put up a few pics that to me were reasonable photos that I'd be happy to show anyone and I also put
    up a similar amount of stinkers (what I thought were pretty average shots) and guess what! My idea of 'Stinkers' got more praise than the ones I liked personally. So the moral of the story at least for me is, be happy and don't worry because I can't get a pic in National Geographic

Cheers

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi.... thanks for your comments. I was talking to a mate who is a great photographer. He basically said I need to keep things in perspective. That perspective being I went for a walk around Forster with a camera in a backpack and I took some quite okay photos. Sure they aren't perfect but generally those perfect photos that everyone admires comes with a lighting rig, about 4 hours sitting around waiting and a few bags of gear. Like he said months ago.....don't over think it, just press the buttons, turn the knobs and the rest will come with experience. And then the wife puts a spin on it....like only a wife can.....she liked them all except the colour tunnel one.......she thought the sand looked dirty. Guess its time I bought photoshop.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You may just find you are drawn to qualities in a capture that come across best in B+W.
    My advice is to just embrace it, ask yourself why it works better in B+W to help with progression in that area and not see it as a failed colour shot.
    Like me you might find the colour is not your main attraction to taking a shot.
    Try setting aside a photo session to just looking for images where the subject is colour, it may help in finding ways to make colour more compelling to you in your images.

Colour can distract from more important qualities in an image or it can be a quality in itself, learn to appreciate the differences and exploit each for their different impact.

If an image looks better to you in B+W then it probably is, work out from there what B+W is bring to the image.
    Since there is a greater range of extremes in processing that can be applied to a B+W than in colour and have it still look right, you have to take care not to take a heavy handed approach that might lose that.
    Equally you don't want to miss an opportunity that say a heavily contrasty image might be just the ticket as well.

I like this guy's colour photography https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U7bnIYcvRM he certainly has a very good understanding of how colour works in an image in an additive way.
    and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzQUp02XfAM
    Of coarse there are as many prominently B+W photographers to aspire to as well.
    Cheers Doug

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smyth View Post
    You may just find you are drawn to qualities in a capture that come across best in B+W.
    My advice is to just embrace it, ask yourself why it works better in B+W to help with progression in that area and not see it as a failed colour shot.
    Like me you might find the colour is not your main attraction to taking a shot.
    Try setting aside a photo session to just looking for images where the subject is colour, it may help in finding ways to make colour more compelling to you in your images.

Colour can distract from more important qualities in an image or it can be a quality in itself, learn to appreciate the differences and exploit each for their different impact.

If an image looks better to you in B+W then it probably is, work out from there what B+W is bring to the image.
    Since there is a greater range of extremes in processing that can be applied to a B+W than in colour and have it still look right, you have to take care not to take a heavy handed approach that might lose that.
    Equally you don't want to miss an opportunity that say a heavily contrasty image might be just the ticket as well.

I like this guy's colour photography https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U7bnIYcvRM he certainly has a very good understanding of how colour works in an image in an additive way.
    and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzQUp02XfAM
    Of coarse there are as many prominently B+W photographers to aspire to as well.
    Thanks for that link Doug. Well worth watching his vids

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

1st question is ; editing? are you editing the photo? IMO both just need more twinkles to shine more --- I will edit a couple latter while testing these rather confusing editing programs I'm fiddling with --- no wonder newbies find it hard!!

I know some disapprove; but editing / processing is a must to go over and beyond . Some subjects suit b/w more and colour suits some subjects more

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

bit rushed, certainly not perfect and tomorrow I would do them differently --- especially the b/w as there are so many variations that could be used . I would also appreciate a bit of feed back from others as I'm still fiddling with the computer and screens

original
    DSC_0162.jpg

DSC_0162 2.jpg

original
    DSC_0160.jpg

edited from the colour file after editing
    DSC_0162 2 bw-2.jpg

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

and again bit rushed, certainly not perfect and tomorrow I would do them differently --- especially the b/w as there are so many variations that could be used .

imo good b/w photos are a lot about dodging and burning, and colour channel adjustment --- a blue sky can be made very light or very dark/black just by adjusting blue colour channel and hopefully you cannot see what I have done without going back and forth to the original image

I meant to add above that I rather like the composition from inside the pipe (??) Maybe a bit the wrong time of day though.

hope that helps; happy to answer the questions

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello
    Thanks all for your help and comments. The edited photos are a great comparison for me. Thanks Ian B. I do edit my photos but at the moment I really only use the Nikon software that came with the camera. It is very basic and even for me it is quite limited in what it will do. I have just got photoshop and I am trying to figure it out. That's going to take me some time.

Your comments have also added some perspective. Personally I do really like B & W shots. I must have borrowed every book from our library that mentions Ansell Adams. My own taste maybe biasing what I think is a good colour photo and what is not. Again all thanks I am learning as I go and any comment/critique helps.

Image Editing
    Yes (default)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer the colour ones too - most likely personal preference...
    Renae
    Canon 7D
    18-55mm IS
    55-250mm IS
    50mm F1.8

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by idle_moments View Post
    .I have just got photoshop
    Bugga ! I'm starting to think ON1 is a better learners program even if it can still be a confusing learning curve like most program

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's personal preference. I do like the B&W more but then again, I prefer B&W over color more times than not. That's just me I guess. Nice photos, regardless.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love (typically) B&W photos, am terrible at them haha. All a learning curve I guess! For me, both these photos work in both B&W and colour, and I think it comes down to preference. I have trouble with photoshop (only new to it) and still do most of my editing in lightroom.