Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'Film is not dead': Resurgent interest in analogue photography

Interesting article. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-2...isbane/8210526

Might be a good time to sell my old film cameras or keep them?
    Canon EOS 5, EOS 300 35mm Film. Canon EOS 350D DSLR.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 'Film is not dead': Resurgent interest in analogue photography

Interesting but I don't think I'll be going back any time soon. Probably still got a few undeveloped canisters laying around!

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

me either - still got some old bakelite tanks etc from my school days when l had an enlarger in my wardrobe
    nikon abuser

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I might be tempted just for the simple fact that I never get any shots printed anymore. When the hard drives become old technology or die so will my pics probably

Image Editing
    Yes (default)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got some many old film cameras sitting around and a "few" rolls of film sitting in the fridge, it is almost therapy for me to go play and shoot with them.

Dead, no, just as vinyl has had it's biggest sales in 25 years, film is still kicking.
    "Anyone who recommends anything without knowing what you want to do with it should be ignored." Ken Rockwell

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

as the bloke said: the best thing about film is the 'stop to think' attitude it creates; and that is something surely missing today . Many think the more photos they take the more they learn which is true enough to certain agree. However just taking and hoping doesn't teach anyone much and neither do the occasional fluked good photos

I have the thought we learn more from mistakes than from success and if the mistakes cost real dollars the faster we tend to learn. If 30 clicks costs 30-50 dollars then thinking before clicking will become more important and even second nature . The silly thing is that many of us have/will spent far more on our digital photography than we would likely spend on film photography costs

As I spend time sorting out digital photos back to 2004 I realize a few things like
    -- my photography was c*** then
    --- I have far too of much that c*** on my hard drives
    --- I took so much of that c*** while NOT thinking before clicking as if it was free to click often
    --- and what I thought was important or great then wasn't so good after all
    --- and of the 30 photos I have of the one same thing (tourist type pics) I only really need one or two
    --- and my hard drives a full of massive psd/tiffs ''just in case'' files when I only need a small edited jpg after all because the photo is not as important as dreamt it to be

maybe there is a place for still film photography but not in the way many think of

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IanB View Post
    as the bloke said: the best thing about film is the 'stop to think' attitude it creates; and that is something surely missing today . Many think the more photos they take the more they learn which is true enough to certain agree. However just taking and hoping doesn't teach anyone much and neither do the occasional fluked good photos

I have the thought we learn more from mistakes than from success and if the mistakes cost real dollars the faster we tend to learn. If 30 clicks costs 30-50 dollars then thinking before clicking will become more important and even second nature . The silly thing is that many of us have/will spent far more on our digital photography than we would likely spend on film photography costs

As I spend time sorting out digital photos back to 2004 I realize a few things like
    -- my photography was c*** then
    --- I have far too of much that c*** on my hard drives
    --- I took so much of that c*** while NOT thinking before clicking as if it was free to click often
    --- and what I thought was important or great then wasn't so good after all
    --- and of the 30 photos I have of the one same thing (tourist type pics) I only really need one or two
    --- and my hard drives a full of massive psd/tiffs ''just in case'' files when I only need a small edited jpg after all because the photo is not as important as dreamt it to be

maybe there is a place for still film photography but not in the way many think of
    The opportunity to take many more shots is there now where it wasn't before. But what we should be doing is culling heavily before we settle on the "keepers". When I first started underwater photography back in the 1970s I was using a Nikonas 3 and slide film which gave me 36 shots in a dive. After waiting a week or so to get the results back, If I got 6 keepers out of that I was reasonably satisfied. (Bear in mind that underwater time is not on your side).

I moved on to processing my own slides overnight with E6 process and was able to see what was worth keeping the next morning. If conditions allowed I was able to go back and re-shoot if it was something important and the results weren't satisfactory.

Today I can enter the water with fully charged batteries spend up to an hour on a tank of air and if the subjects are there.. (there nearly always is something that interests me).. I can take something like 100 shots, come home, do an initial cull in camera, then upload the rest for a closer look and usually end up with 20 or 30 keepers of which I'll process 6 to 8 to illustrate the dive to others.

There is quite simply no comparison in being able to view instantly the result of a shot, with waiting for film to be processed and very few good reasons for wanting to do it these days.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you can actually pay for your gear just by saving the processing cost. So really its cheaper and we can learn quicker (as has been said) instantly seeing what youve done or didn't do 😄 I think there's definately a niche there for it.