Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: >> show us your editing.

fergie hiding ; used to drive a dry dock winch for Murray_river house boats

ON1Photo after and before

Mostly dodge and burn sort of editing --dynamic contrast/sunshine/grudge +++++ (??)
    I put the subject behind the tree to give the 'hiding look' and to hide lots of junkie stuff --- would been just another photo of a tractor if a little thought is not put in before . As per usual; I thought of the name before photographing with my delightful little Oly EM1 + 20mm pana lens . It's amazing the subjects that fit nicely though and into that set up

Honest comments (CC) and questions welcome.

original oly raw>>basic lr>>on1

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have seen some amazing photo editing skills. And here I have tried one (This kind of editing is used in Magazine, and my company working as a photo editing partner with so many companies who need this kind of photo editing), this one is done by me.
    This one is the raw image
    I have applied Photoshop retouching technique to implement this image in to below one.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

mirrored gum (Eucalyptus Aust) tree bark
    was just fiddling around until I got a little carried away lol.
    started with the 2nd pics; taken in a gully north of Broken Hill (far west NSW) and ended up with lots of ON1 layers, masks, blending layers and massive psd files

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Bit of a 'who done what?'

What have I done? Not asking about normal edit stuff as if you can see that then it's poorly done IMO
    This is more about (can you see) the physical chances to what was a rather boring pic.
    Sorry; nothing to do with the sky or adding or blending something . And all done in ON1
    All will be revealed in what --- couple of days?

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A big fan of this image Ian!

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

you might be surprised where is one started from

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Q97 View Post
    Where I started:

Attachment 77926

Bumped clarity (sharpness), cropped, drew a mask over the sky to increase saturation, and that's about it. It looks like more was done, but I assume the colour profile embedding on the processing to jpg is responsible for that. Spent about 5 minutes on it, including adjusting the beer levels.

Attachment 77925

D7000 Voightlander 40mm, f8, 1/160, ISO100 (to save anyone asking)

Nicely done Q97

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

the stuff we don't see; at least I didn't have my shadow in there also; or the dog!
    Thanks to the gods we now have programs like ON1 to swept up the rubbish. More fiddling around to see what happens than anything
    Oly em1 + 20mm pana lens
    questions/comments/cc welcome

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had to do quite a bit of Editing over the years, basically because I just stuff up the shoot.
    Not my best examples but a couple of shots that I've uploaded within the last Month.

In this example it is just a straight miss match of W/B
    Attached Images Attached Images

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In this example which I recently uploaded to a Facebook Photo Group, I've had to remove some unwanted objects, including the fishnet stocking, (mid drift) plus some fellow Photographers.
    As well as lifting her up a little as she's sitting too close to the bottom of the frame, and in this case I didn't bother to resize.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

thanks for sharing --- I like the effect of the "B+W"

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still amazing the amount of difference . If you don't have two programs then do one edit now and another in a day or two or next week

good lessen on composition
    / file rotating too ---- something I thought about as I rushed to get the pic with the duck[/QUOTE]

I like this idea, it would make good sense, especially for me.

Cheers,
    Les

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That works ok. Could you not have got the final result by going further in Lightroom?

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by closei View Post
    That works ok. Could you not have got the final result by going further in Lightroom?
    Maybe; more likely maybe not. ON1 has a 'dynamic contrast' that would be hard to do or do easily. ON1 is really just a replacement of PS. I'm now using LR for most editing/filing again and ON1 as PS might be used for the more advanced editing. ON1 is a long way from perfect although I can see a day when it could be a one and only stand alone program for many. Keywording and crashing are the big let downs atm for the more experienced; however the program would be great for newcomers as it's far easier than photoshop to learn and use. ACDsee would be OK too, far better filing system than ON1, but the edit side of is not so good but still very useful. When Lumina adds the library might sort out the men from the boys although I would prefer ON1. I see Coral paintshop pro has released a 2018 update that I will have a quick look at; although I did battle with the program as it was so similar to PS yet so different . Why they all need to use different keyboard short cuts is beyond me --- adobe is the better as most are single keys whereas the others often need "+alt" or "+Ctrl" or both

Just something to keep the old brain active. I still prefer to find the 'subjects' that most would never notice and then make them into a picture; although I don't post many (or keep) as most don't "get it" as they are only interested the cute, cuddle and the pretty subjects

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

From just a dead root on the ground to another "do your head in" artwork is just a case of fiddling around until it all sort of falls into the right places -- in this case the dark blending layer did the trick. To make the boarder; the centre square was enlarger in layer and middle masked out
    One thing we have to love about ON1 raw is how we can see how the different layers blending modes will look without the need of clicking each one.
    honest thoughts/comments/suggests/questions always welcome
    Did I know how this would turn out when I took the photo? my brain is NOT that mixed up!!

more to come

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

and then we can start to fiddle around colour hue adjustments and and and and . learning to edit is often sliding sliders to see what happens

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right, had a couple of days to get myself semi-sorted, and I've had a play with a couple from my trip up north. Strap in!

First, set the work space and grab some of the essential tools:

130582.jpg

gt.jpg

You'll need to adjust the quantities and ratios to get an optimal working flow going, so you'll just have to experiment a little on your own.

Next, here are the original files. Yes, one is a sunset, which normally I'm not overly fussed on, but against the backdrop of the caldera, kinda looked interesting to me.

_DSC9546.jpg

_DSC9231.jpg

I think I've just reached the 4 attachment per post limit, so I'll make another reply and talk a little about the edits.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

_DSC9231.jpg

So for the waterfall I've bumped exposure maybe a stop and a bit, bumped contrast and given a little more saturation. Knocked some of the highlights down to give a little more detail and definition in the streams of water. A bit of a crop, and application of vignette. A bit heavy perhaps, but there you go. I'd guess about 5 minutes.

_DSC9546.jpg

Sunset got the exposure dropped ever so slightly, contrast and saturation got pushed up a bit more than usual. Shadow detail pushed quite high, highlights untouched. Very light vignette, almost not there. No or almost no crop. Probably 3 minutes between beers.

Now a word on the software. I use Capture One, but I don't really think it matters what you use. For me though, I gel with how it is set out and it all makes sense. I can look at my images, and pretty much visualise what I can get from the RAF/NEF, and then actually get something pretty close to what's in my head in a short amount of time (usually). So more than anything, know at least one thing well. If I need to do more advanced stuff I have gimp and with online tutorials can do some pretty fancy stuff, just a bit slowly. That is usually reserved for when the image isn't really optimal to start with for whatever reason.

But finally, as in my first post, make sure your work space is properly prepped, and you have the right tools at hand. It makes the whole thing much easier

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

looking good; but we really need to see the before images also

General comment
    This thread was started to show new comers to photography that all those amazing photos they see on the www didn't fall out of the camera like that, and most photos need at least some basic editing above what the camera has already done

Editing programs: photoshop is likely the last program newbies need these days. There are plenty of smaller, easier to learn and easier use programs available these days

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 59101112131415161718 LastLast