PDA

View Full Version : before and after

IanB
18-09-2017, 11:29 AM
another before and after for new comers to photography and editing [originally written for an ON1 learning group

as it was a big blue [boring] sky day was hoping to get some colour in the eastern sky at/after sunset --- didn't happen so I did other things like slower exposures (Hoya Variable ND filter) and bracketing. Bracketing; is taking several photos of the same subject at different exposure settings. I'm not going into it as there is plenty to read on the www
As I planning to blend 2 or 3 files into one picture it was important to use a solid tripod --- the adjustments were done manually even though the camera OLY EM1/12-40 lens can be set to do it automatically
1-2 the raw and lr edit --- taken so there were no blow out/clippings in the sky --- far more important than the next
3-4 the raw and lr edit --- taken so there were no heavy black clippings --- darks/shadows can be lighten PP; however those darker parts are likely to be noisy; but that is better than blown h/lights; not much can be done PP with those

IanB
18-09-2017, 11:30 AM
5 is the 'finished' picture; not that I consider it a good picture and certainly will not be going on my wall.
Something I did a bit different was to crop the files (in LR) back to the part of the file I would be using in the blended photo. The idea is my eyes, and histogram are concentrating on the part of the file needed. When happy I reset to the original crop .The two files were taken to ON1 as layers -- a grad mask used to remove the lighter sky -- 60 % dynamic contrast/colour/tone layers added for some finer tuning --- saved back to LR . Various dodge and burn done through out the image
Because I use raw capture I can get away with two files here; however jpg captures would likely need 3 or 4 exposures

Hope that helps some out there in cyber space.
Questions more than welcome

closei
18-09-2017, 11:38 AM
Quite nice. I probably would have done it differently (I don't have or need ON1) but that's fine. There are many ways to achieve a similar result.

IanB
19-09-2017, 07:55 AM
true; same could be done with any programs with basic layers . I often feel like wiping on1 off the lappy; however there is just too much to like as well so much to dislike.
because of the lack of contrast in this scene; you could get away with one well exposed file with most cameras today --- raw could be safer than jpg. Bracketing exposures and even white balance is something jpg uses can do to get the best possible file to work with

Bracketing exposures is a great way to learn about get the exposures correct more often

And of course; those who don't like editing too much can always use a graduated nd filter to darken the sky; however; with most on-lens filter effects, it can be hard or even impossible to remove those effects PP, so it's always a good idea to get a few files without filters also

IanB
19-09-2017, 07:55 AM
true Greg; same could be done with any programs with basic layers . I often feel like wiping on1 off the lappy; however there is just too much to like as well so much to dislike. PSE still gets used as much as ON1
because of the lack of contrast in this scene; you could get away with one well exposed file with most cameras today --- raw could be safer than jpg. Bracketing exposures and even white balance is something jpg uses can do to get the best possible file to work with

Bracketing exposures is a great way to learn about get the exposures correct more often

And of course; those who don't like editing too much can always use a graduated nd filter to darken the sky; however; with most on-lens filter effects, it can be hard or even impossible to remove those effects PP, so it's always a good idea to get a few files without filters also

robbymac
19-09-2017, 08:50 AM
Valuable info Ian - appreciate the input! :thumbup:

IanB
19-09-2017, 04:01 PM
thanks robby; I often wonder if this sort of stuff I come up with and post is really worth my time even though it's often notes to myself

Rachael Alice
19-09-2017, 04:12 PM
This is really very nice as well as beautifully exemplified. I would like to try it out in future clicks for sure.

closei
19-09-2017, 05:02 PM
Is there anyone else here using ON1? What advantages are there over Lightroom and PSE?

IanB
20-09-2017, 10:00 AM
Just another program Greg that mostly does the same thing but in different ways. All programs have great tools and toys and some have really bad ideas and all are missing something from the "prefect" one program

I would consider it more of a PS thing than and LR thing which is still the best serious filing program going. ON1 needs a lot of updates before it play in the LR sandpit.

Not sure you would gain much by getting ON1Greg; apart from lots of frustration headaches

Like many; I'm looking for something to use instead of LR if --- when I lose it being able to use it.

ACDsee; or as it's been re-branded; Photo Studio (another PS :() might be an Ok filing program. Seems to have most things required, although I have not used it a lot as yet. The editing side is very much like PS and adjustment layers but does not to be considered a 'good' editing program by the 'experts' . As a stand alone program, it could be OK for the new comers who should really stick to using ONE program IMO

I really feel windows Lumina could be the game changer; especially if they can add a very good filing/library section. Works well with macs apparently. My daughter likes it; however she does need PS for the occasional edit --- like most, she just does not have the time these days so lumina is great.

Not sure there will be a stand alone program for the more experienced. Pros for now will stay with adobe --- 5-10 years time (????)

I would love to remove ON1 from the lappy; however there is just too much to like about it and a fair bit to dislike and miss
I would also like to move away from LR; however there is no real replacement for LR as yet IMO. Although it does dramas; it's still the better culling program and I can not understand why the others choose to use two keys for basic star adding and colour tagging. No idea why the others could not use the same as adobe keyboard shortcuts (????)

For layers/making collages/some blending/text and the likes I still prefer PSE12. I do miss the grid and rules on the others. In fact PSE and it's filing section may well be enough for new comers. It all depends how serious you are about finding that one photo from five years ago

LR hierarchy keywords: If using ON1 as a LR plug in you have to know your LR h/keywords can become a big mess real quick as on1 does not support a hierarchy kw list so all keywords in a hierarchy will return to LR as a new single list keyword . So before sending a file to ON1 I need to remove the keywords first; and you guess what; I usually forget so those 1/2 dozen h/keywords jump into the single list as a new keyword :angry: ;(
Another drama is the massive size of ON1 PSD files which are about 10 times larger than adobe psd files. A little 15mb raw file can become 3-5-900 mb very quickly

So to answer your question Greg; ON1 is a real love-hate affair with me and considering I needed to purchase a new lappy to run it I'm not too keen to walk away. I feel photo studio [ACDsee] could be very similar

BTW: Adobe seem to be making it very hard to purchase LR6 now, and thoughts seem to be LR will become subscription only like PS. Must be working for them. Personally I would love to see the old CS3 become the new Elements --- no; not holding my breath

closei
20-09-2017, 10:11 AM
Thanks Ian, can't see any good reasons there for me to change from PS CS3 and Lightroom 4.4 for editing and Windows for filing and search.

I guess one day they'll become so far outdated that I'll have to get something else but I guess by then my cameras will be too! :o

Chris788
20-09-2017, 11:15 AM
BTW: Adobe seem to be making it very hard to purchase LR6 now, and thoughts seem to be LR will become subscription only like PS. Must be working for them. Personally I would love to see the old CS3 become the new Elements --- no; not holding my breath

I have the adobe CC subscription, as I couldn't bring myself to pay upfront for the full programs. If I had paid for Lightroom upfront, I would have never got photoshop, which now that I have started using it, it's my go-to program for editing. I guess, if programs suit your editing needs, you're on the right track. I personally haven't looked into ON1 to see what it offers that I can't get in Adobe CC and Nik Collection.

I have started to download the Nik Collection now that they are free.

IanB
20-09-2017, 05:00 PM
I have started to download the Nik Collection now that they are free.
been free for quite a while but now totally unsupported by google

just to confuse everyone I did this flower in PSE after some basic LR edits. Couldn't get it working in photo studio and on1 was not a lot better

'sleeping in' I thought of. One of these days I will get around to making that table top studio I promised myself a few years ago ---- more like 6-10 years ago.

The was flower was picked -- put in the very seldom used plant holder I made 20-30 years ago --- took an old shirt off the clothes line -- held it will a broom handle for a b/ground --- I got really carried away and used the tripod -- used an old nose spray bottle to add the water drops .

closei
20-09-2017, 05:52 PM
Those Pigface flowers are nice, you should get a nice one of it when open.

IanB
21-09-2017, 12:57 PM
did this to be different ;)

closei
21-09-2017, 01:10 PM
did this to be different ;)

I like different!