PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to the forum

bulldustbkroads
20-08-2017, 09:35 AM
Hi guys,

I'm Trinity. I've dabbled in photography, on again, off again, for a long time... though only ever as a hobby. I think I got my first camera, a little flip-style Kodak, when I was about 8 years old!

While its still only a hobby I'm a bit more serious about it now. I bought a Canon 6D roughly 12 months ago (upgraded from an Olympus PEN camera which wasn't bad for a reintroduction to shooting in manual from the old film days!) and have slowly been collecting an assortment of lenses and other gear, including a drone. I don't get as much time as I'd like to shoot, but I do a bit of everything - dog portraits for a local animal rescue group, landscapes when we travel, off-road 4WD action stuff, some macro stuff, etc. Landscapes are my main interest, but I'd love to do some more portrait work.

I thought I'd join the forum for some advice and to meet some other like minded people. I don't have many friends who are into photography so I don't get a lot of chance to chat about gear or techniques with anyone. :)

Cheers!

Jamin
20-08-2017, 01:05 PM
Welcome Trinity. Landscapes, animals, and 4wd action stuff - you've come to the right place to chat ;) Look forward to seeing some landscapes, my particular favourite.
Cheers
Jamin.

Leicester
21-08-2017, 12:46 AM
Hi Trinity and welcome to the Forum.

Ready through your introduction sounds like it could have been anyone of us.

I was also looking at the latest in Olympus Pens lately, which they have re introduced.
Gee they're a nice little Camera, and come with an assortment of Lens changers, they were very popular with the Japanese Youth when I was there recently, specially because it has the drop down Monitor for selfies.

Anyway my main interest is in Portrait at the moment, and or anything to do with people Photography, so we could meet up again some where on the Forum.

All the best,

Cheers,
Les.

closei
21-08-2017, 09:46 AM
Welcome Trinity, I like to do a bit of everything and don't claim to be expert on anything. But I do know what I like and what I don't.

There are members here who prefer just to talk about gear and techniques so you should be in good company.

Don't be afraid to pass an opinion on other people's work, it's all good as long as it's done in an honest and respectful manner.

Cheers.

bulldustbkroads
21-08-2017, 04:44 PM
Thanks so much everyone for the welcome! :D

One of the main reasons I changed from the Olympus PEN camera I had at the time was... because I broke it. Had a little incident with the shutter button. Though the reason I went for the Canon full-frame was for more lens options and overall better flexibility. That said, the little Olympus camera had wonderful colour!

Leicester
21-08-2017, 04:53 PM
Yes there's nothing wrong with Olympus.

In fact there's very little wrong with most brands.

Simply put .... you would be very unlucky to even buy a dud Camera these days.

Cheers,
Les.

bulldustbkroads
21-08-2017, 05:00 PM
Yes there's nothing wrong with Olympus.

In fact there's very little wrong with most brands.

Simply put .... you would be very unlucky to even buy a dud Camera these days.

Cheers,
Les.

I agree, based on my n=1 experience with the brand! LOL! I did love that little camera. I have it listed for sale as-is, but am thinking if I don't sell it for what I'm asking I may just go ahead and have it repaired for overseas travel. (I did try to talk my husband into dabbling in photography and keeping the camera for him, but he's not keen unfortunately!) The kit lens it comes with is a great walk-around option, and considering the set-up was probably less than 1/10th of the cost of my Canon gear... Well, it was a great value-for-money option! :)

Leicester
30-08-2017, 03:31 PM
I just spoke about this very thing in another thread.
https://www.photoforum.com.au/showthread.php?78007-Compact-cameras

Cheers,
Les.