Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Moving or copying photos into lightroom??

Hi,

I purchased lightroom 4 a while ago, but have only just got around to using it. I have been using Digital Photo Professional to adjust my photos. All my photos are stored on an external hard drive. My question is, when importing photos into lightroom do I copy them or move them. I need to better orgainse my filing of photos. But I don't know if I want 2 folders with the same photos, (I have too many photos taking up lots of room on the hard drive).

If I move a photo into lightroom, does that leave me with only one file of that photo. (not sure if that makes sense) I am not a computer whiz.
    I have been watching videos on how to import, and they say to copy photos. So will this leave me with 2 copies of the same photo, 1 copy in the original file and the 2nd copy in a new folder??

Sorry I am confused.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance Ron.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC

Re: Moving or copying photos into lightroom??

firstly the actual files will not moved into LR but move on your h/drive

Copy will do. Do a few first to check all is OK

Before you add the images to LR read this, especially the part about putting ALL your photos and sub-folders into one folder. You can do that in windows.
    That one move will save you heaps of time later.
    remember that after you get photos into LR all moving/deleting should be via LR

WARNING: you will get very frustrated with LR until you understand
    I suggest you turn off all other editing/filing programs and work ONLY in LR until you u/stand some of it

and get a book like Scott Kelbies LR4 or 5

and ask question on the forum
    I'm always right most of the ti...umm.....some of the time. ......Yeah OK occasional right .
    My Flickr photos

Thanks for the link Ian. I now understand the concept of filing/sorting a lot better after that read. I have big job ahead, but slow and steady I should get through it.
    I need to learn how to use the delete button on photos, that will make my sorting job soooooooo much easier.:whistle

Thanks again Ian.

Something you'll learn, whatever you're doing in LR won't change the original photo. Cropping, brightening, spot removal... none of it. LR creates a separate file with the instructions to tell it where to find the original and the exact steps you took to edit that photo. If you want to do something with that edited version, like stick it on a USB stick or email it or whatever, you have to "export" that edited photo which will create a proper version of the edited image.

I for one didn't fully understand that at first.

This is why it's important to back up your library occasionally. If you don't have the exports, but backed up the originals only, and you lose the library then you have to re-edit from scratch.
    -CJ-
    Canon 70D + C18-55 + C18-135 STM + T24-70 f/2.8 + T70-200 f/2.8 + Ʃ30 f/1.4 + Ʃ10-20 f/3.5 + 2x430EX II
    Facebook

Image Editing
    Yes with CC

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Thanks for the link Ian. I now understand the concept of filing/sorting a lot better after that read. I have big job ahead, but slow and steady I should get through it.
    I need to learn how to use the delete button on photos, that will make my sorting job soooooooo much easier.:whistle

Thanks again Ian.
    Don't try to do it ALL now. I started with the most recent photos; say a month or so, and get those in order via windows; move them into your "photos" folder. Then important the files into LR so you can add keywords/tags . Once you have them in LR you can find the next month or so. If you have subject folders do those bit by bit.

I used to have lots subject folders but now use monthly folders and too many keys words although a lot of old stuff is still in subject folders. You have to work out what works for you so you can find that one photo in five years time

ATM I only use a blue colour tag for photos I have posted into forums. I only use stars for a quick reference for the camera used>> * lumix; ** G12; *** 5D even though I have keywords for each camera. BTW: LR also has amazing built in functions to find anything in the files metadata

Whatever system you use it's only as good as the house work you do. If you have untidy kitchen draws it's harder to find the one item you need

When you get stuck just ask questions in this thread
    I'm always right most of the ti...umm.....some of the time. ......Yeah OK occasional right .
    My Flickr photos

Ok. I have started to import photos. But I have noticed that on the left hand side of lightroom in the folders section, my new folders are all called 2013, but if I hover the mouse over one of the 2013 files it shows me the name of the file eg. F:\MyPictures\Danielles21st\2013 and then the there is a sub folder showing me the date that the photos were taken.

So my question is how do I get the rid of the 2013 name and show the folder name instead. Is this something that I am doing during the import of the photos??

Image Editing
    Yes with CC

I will back to you later/soon Roy and explain renaming
    My Flickr photos

Image Editing
    Yes with CC

this is my lay out my folders in LR

LRy.JPG

Storeroom is the area of the hard drive where I keep my photos (I don't use "my pictures" for anything other than imported photos for the camera because that's where LR puts them

Forums is just images in/out of forum>not an important folder

''My Photos'' is my main photo folder>>everything is in "my photos''
    then the subfolders which also can subfolders

OK; works for me.

To change the folder name right click>>rename>>type>>done. Add 0 or 1 will move the folder to the top of the list. Handy for often use folders (i look forward to when I can colour code our folders and key words

Now how does that compare to your setup.

Have you work out how to renamed files in LR?
    My Flickr photos

Hi Ian,

Sorry for the late reply. I have two young boys that can sense when I am on the computer.

I have renamed my files like you mentioned by right clicking then clicking on rename. But I would have thought that the folder would have been renamed during the import process.

All my photos are going to my external drive F: drive. I can see the F drive in lightroom, but then the folders under the F: drive were all labelled 2013. I know you said to not use another program, but I checked with DPP (digital photo professional) and the photos I imported into the lightroom folder are in the folders I set up with subfolders. So is there something that I am doing wrong in the import or do I have to set up something in lightroom to view my folders.

Also another question. Why do I have 2 types of arrows next to my folders in lightroom? 1 arrow is solid and the other arrow pixelated. Is there a difference between the two?

Thanks for your help Ian,

Image Editing
    Yes with CC

easy one first: the solid arrow show there are sub-folders and the other arrows show there is no subfolders. Click on arrow and folders open

the other stuff I need to look at...lr does some funny and annoying things at times
    My Flickr photos

lightroom was doing my head in, so I took a break from it. But I am back at it.

Question, my photos are stored on my hard drive in my pictures in their RAW files, so if I copy my photos to lightroom do I end up with 2 copies of that photo? I need to delete a lot of my photos (have 15 photos of the same shot) If that is the case am I better off moving the photos into my Lightroom photos folder? Or does lightroom just use the original photo in "My pictures" folder? I need to make room on my external hard drive, but I don't think I need to have 2 copies of the photo.
    All my photos are stored in "my photos". They are a slight mess in the organisation of the photos. So by moving into lightroom I can organise my filing better and permanently delete photos.

Thanks

Image Editing
    Yes with CC

make sure you have "don't import suspected duplicates" ticked >>import>>file handing (RHS)

don't copy to lightroom>>you need to click "add" (top of import page)

Maybe start again; sorry. Or make a new catalog and import in the new catalog and delete the old catalog

And do a small number of images and make sure everything is OK before importing more. Just a little at time and then you only have little dramas instead of big dramas

and get a book; I couldn't do it with scot kelby's help and I still look up stuff

Idea: just import files from your camera until you have it sorted. We have all had dramas understanding how LR works so keep going; it's so easy and worth the dramas when you have it sorted.
    My Flickr photos

Thanks for that Ian.

If my current filing system is a mess, would I be better off to "move" photos into lightroom, then just add them?

Ok, I have looked into the "MOVE" and "ADD" options and I think the "move" will suit me better. Prior to lightroom I was starting to organise my photos in digital photo professional. Due to several computer crashes, I now have 3-4 copies of all my photos, all labelled differently eg. 1 lot of photos are labelled recovery, 2nd lot picture backup, etc. I cannot just delete the back up copies because photos were added to some of these copies so I need to go through all the copies. I started to go through the photos and delete the copies, but I was just putting one set of photos into a broad range folder. ie all the photos of my son are in one folder, but no sub folders so it is a mess. So it would be better if I "move" photos into lightroom then just "add".

Image Editing
    Yes with CC

when you download photos from your camera you need to "copy"

if your ''move" images when importing LR will move to the file to a new location

if you ''copy'' you have two files instead of one file

bit hard to make suggestion when I can't see how things are set up.

but I still think you could make a new catalog >>file>new catalog>>file name. Pick any name; pictures, photos, hope this works ; whatever>>click save.

you will have a new catalog with no photos/files/images/previews so you need to import a few photos to get it started

to import from your external drive go to "import" bottom LHS> select the images [remember we are only importing a few to get started]> select "Add" (at the top)>>file handling>>build previews and click minimal>>click build smart previews (LR 5 only)>>click "don't import suspected duplicates>>add a keyword if you wish >>click import down at the bottom RHS.

Now those previews are in the catalog and the actual files are still located in your external drive

Leave those alone and snap of 1/2 dozen jpg photos or raw; doesn't matter. what ever you use

Connect camera to computer>>click import>>click camera or card reader [top rhs]>>check that "copy" is h/lighted>>file handling>> build previews and click minimal>>click build smart previews (LR 5 only)>>go to destination where lightroom will select "My Pictures" as the default so leave that alone for now>>click on "import" and the files will end up on the computers h/drive in My Pictures

Lightroom doesn't work on the actual photo file, it works or previews so if you edit a photo nothing happens on the photo file. There is no need for a save button as lr will remember everything it has done to the preview.

Now you have a hand full of previews photos in your new lightroom catalog that you can play with. The old catalog can sit there for now

Set up your NEW PHOTOS filing system. For now add a folder into "my pictures" and call it "MY PHOTOS" Now drag only the photos you just took into that folder. You might even make a new subfolder called "New Image" or "images to sort" and drag the photos into that s/folder. Play around with it.

But don't move the photos you imported from the external drive. Hunt around in the folders palet (LHS) and you see your EHD there somewhere with a little green light beside it.

Make a new folder and call it MY OLDER PHOTOS and drag the photos you imported into that folder. When importing more photos from the EHD you will to send them to that folder or subfolder within that MY OLDER PHOTOS folder. Again you might make some s/folder also.

Now just do bits at a time until you know how it all works and then we can worry about EXPORTING lol

now leave LR for and order http://scottkelby.com/2012/lightroom...for-pre-order/ from the cheapest place you can find. Not sure if there is a LR 5 book yet but LR4 will do you.
    My Flickr photos

Moving or copying photos into lightroom??

This just came out and is a free starters guide to LR5:
    http://www.lightroomqueen.com/downlo...quickstart.pdf
    Might be good starting point for you...
    Snix

Image Editing
    Yes with CC

thanks for that Snix, i saw this, or similar somewhere myself but buggered if I could find it last night. Bookmarked now. Thanks mate
    My Flickr photos

Image Editing
    Yes with CC

and Snix; have made a sticky thread for your link; thanks again.
    My Flickr photos

Image Editing
    Yes with CC

how's it working out Ron?
    My Flickr photos

the more I try to use and understand lightroom, the more I get confused. I am just going to stick to Digital photoshop professional.

Thanks for all you help Ian, cjdexter and Snix.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast