Moeraki Boulders Sunrise, Moeraki, New Zealand

Hi all,

So this is my third landscape from my 15 day New Zealand road trip. I'm aiming to try to process one shot a day for the next two weeks so I'm sorry if you get sick of my threads. (We'll see how I go as I start back at uni on Thursday!)

Anyway this shot was (an uneventful) sunrise taken at the Moeraki Boulders, just north of a little fishing village called Moeraki on New Zealand's South Island.

When planning for our 15 day driving tour around New Zealand I really wanted to capture a sunset or sunrise at Moeraki, so I booked some accommodation at the caravan park. It was the cheapest place we stayed in and it was quite a good little cabin and a great little place.

I headed down to the boulders on the afternoon we got there but unfortunately it was overcast and I didn't capture anything decent. The next morning I still pursued and woke up to shoot the sunrise, but alas, it was still overcast. It was also low tide, so I only really had this one boulder and the few smaller ones in the frame to play with.

I was fortunate that a little break in the clouds appeared just before I was going to leave which added a bit of interest to the shot!

I think a few might comment on the horizon. It doesn't appear straight but in order to get the boulders to line up in the image i was shooting at an angle to the waves so it looks uneven. Anyone have any idea's to try fix it or will I just leave it?

Moeraki Boulders Sunrise by Martin Canning, on Flickr

Thanks for looking,

Martin

Image Editing
    Yes

Re: Moeraki Boulders Sunrise, Moeraki, New Zealand

I have been impressed with all three of your pictures, makes me want to go back and have another go.

Lovely shot and really like the pastel shades.

Thanks guys. I have just updated the shot in Flickr due to the dust bunnies and the new link is below:

Moeraki Boulders Sunrise by Martin Canning, on Flickr

Image Editing
    Yes

Lovely pictures, did you use any ND filters for the second one? if so how many stops?

thanks,
    Daniel
    Canon 5D MK II
    Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L
    Canon EF 50mm f1.8
    Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L IS

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel95 View Post
    Lovely pictures, did you use any ND filters for the second one? if so how many stops?

thanks,
    Daniel
    Yeah I did. I'm pretty sure it was 3 stops in this shot as the sun was up at this stage. I used Lee hard grads.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC

Beautiful shot. If you didn't say anything about the horizon I don't think I would have even noticed it. So much else in the photo that the eye is drawn to.

Image Editing
    Yes (default)

It's not so much that the horizon isn't straight, it's has a fair amount of distortion. I would just use the warp tool in small increments until its nice and straight.
    James Cause Photography
    Like my Facebook page!