PDA

View Full Version : CRT Monitor adjustment query (from a rookie)

twebb
12-10-2011, 09:37 AM
A few months ago I visited a local photo lab to arrange printing services. He gave me a few calibration images (prints) and asked me to adjust the monitor ‘brightness’ and ‘contrast’ to match the images.

My first efforts failed and the printed image was much darker than the monitor image. Further adjustment of the monitor brightness and contrast improved the print. To me, the colour (hue) has always looked pretty good, just the prints are basically still too dark to varying degrees.
Obviously I still need to adjust the ‘brightness’ and ‘contrast’. When I attempt to match the monitor image with the calibration print, the brightness and contrast is set very low (5%, 50%). This causes other photographs to appear too dark on the monitor as compared to a print.

I would say that I have been pulling my hair out over this situation, but I don’t have any! How can I accurately adjust the brightness and contrast of my monitor (CRT)? I’m unsure of the initial settings for both the brightness and contrast, which to adjust first, what to adjust to, etc, etc. I have a number of calibration prints, but seem to be unable to get the monitor to match the prints of the calibration prints and other prints (from a local lab). Can anyone recommend a web site to get me through this process before I turn seventy!

I’m under the impression that the monitor calibration hardware is focused on colour management and may or may not address initial brightness and contrast issues, is this correct? I’m thinking that if the monitor calibration hardware initially guides you through the brightness and contrast adjustments, that would be the best way to go (if affordable).

I welcome all input! Thanks!

IanB
12-10-2011, 11:39 AM
there is a lot of info in this section http://www.photoforum.com.au/forumdisplay.php?120-Monitor-Calibration

I have never use any tools other than lab test photos and images. It's important the lab supplies the printed photos an the digital images. Fuji are the ones I use

Sadly basic screens are made for games and movies; not serious photography.

Personally I feel too many weekend photographers are too concerned about prefect calibration. No matter how well your screen is calibrated or set up you still need to be a to read a photo.

post photos and ask for tips/reworks to improve the image