PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Calibration for iMac 27"

Roy
11-10-2011, 08:18 PM
Hi All,
i've just purchased a iMac 27". i was wondering if any of you have this computer and if you use a monitor calibration tool? which one would you recommend.

cheers
Roy

Damo77
12-10-2011, 08:39 AM
Hi Roy,

Because the Mac screens (a) are quite good to begin with, and (b) don't have much physical adjustability, then even a cheap device like the Spyder3Express is a suitable choice.

However, that and other cheap devices don't control brightness. If you can afford it (and with respect, if you can afford a 27" iMac, you can afford a good calibrator), then you should go for the Spyder3Elite or the X-Rite i1Display Pro.

Spearmint
12-10-2011, 08:56 AM
I use the Spyder3Pro with my Mac, and it appears to work well.

Roy
12-10-2011, 10:45 AM
thanks for the feedback. any hints on where you can find these products?

IanB
12-10-2011, 11:42 AM
i just posted this in another thread about the same thing

there is a lot of info in this section http://www.photoforum.com.au/forumdi...or-Calibration

I have never use any tools other than lab test photos and images. It's important the lab supplies the printed photos an the digital images. Fuji are the ones I use

Sadly basic screens are made for games and movies; not serious photography.

Personally I feel too many weekend photographers are too concerned about prefect calibration. No matter how well your screen is calibrated or set up you still need to be a to read a photo.

post photos and ask for tips/reworks to improve the image

Assassin
12-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Likewise, I also use the Spyder3Pro for my i27, that reminds me, recal reminder just popped up....

Done !!

One of the differences between the 'Spyder3 Pro' and the 'Spyder3 Elite' is the Elite electronically adjusts the brightness of the screen, where as the Pro uses the keyboard buttons (F1 & F2) to brighten and dim the screen.
The keyboard adjustments on the iMac 27" are not nearly fine enough to achieve an exact brightness. In a very dimmed room, or to replicate Pre-press lighting conditions, Datacolour recommended 90 Candella, which my
iMac was unable to achieve. It could achieve either 81 or 106 Candellas, but not 90 as recommended....

Just thought you should know this....

And now have just downloaded the Spyder3 Elite 4.0.2 upgrade, will let you know how it goes.....

Spearmint
12-10-2011, 05:49 PM
I'll be interested in your feedback Sass

I just run the software and it came up with the upgrade option splash.

Assassin
12-10-2011, 06:54 PM
I'll be interested in your feedback Sass

I just run the software and it came up with the upgrade option splash.

It's a lot of messing around Minty, it cosy me a hundred bucks, and to be honest, not worth it... unless I'm missing something....

I can't seem to adjust the brightness to a fine enough level.... I was under the impression that the brightness was automatically adjusted, but so far it seems not. I contacted Matt J at Kayell about it, he will send me a screen shot tomorrow regarding that....

Cheers..

I tried to send you a PM on this forum, but was unable to (blocked).... I deleted my profile on the other forum....

Spearmint
12-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback

You should be able to send me a PM now as I have general PM's blocked due to some rude individuals on this forum.

A pity about the other, talk soon.

MattCooper
20-10-2011, 01:35 AM
Just picked up my spider 3 design studio sr kit today. And tonight have been playing around with the spyder 3 elite. Assassin you mentioned not being able to set the cmd to exactly 90, if you have the new macs released in 2011 (might be same on last model not sure) go to system pref --> Display --> you will see a scroll bar for brightness. While in the sypder3elite v4 program when it asks you to set to 90cmd open this up and manual slide it along until you get it. Sometimes I hit 90 perfectly, other times 89 or 91. The keys are just giving a set bounce between different pre set levels.

Been trying to play around with a few settings but still lots of experimentation to go. So far CMD at 90, White point at 6000k (the device recommended 5000 due to dim lighting but felt it had too much of a warm/red tone for my liking, and gamma target was set to 2.1 and achieved 2.15 (will be adjusting this around to achieve 2.2 but not too worried as PS should be adjusting gamma when open to 2.2 anyway, i think...

Assassin
20-10-2011, 05:51 AM
Just picked up my spider 3 design studio sr kit today. And tonight have been playing around with the spyder 3 elite. Assassin you mentioned not being able to set the cmd to exactly 90, if you have the new macs released in 2011 (might be same on last model not sure) go to system pref --> Display --> you will see a scroll bar for brightness. While in the sypder3elite v4 program when it asks you to set to 90cmd open this up and manual slide it along until you get it. Sometimes I hit 90 perfectly, other times 89 or 91. The keys are just giving a set bounce between different pre set levels.

Been trying to play around with a few settings but still lots of experimentation to go. So far CMD at 90, White point at 6000k (the device recommended 5000 due to dim lighting but felt it had too much of a warm/red tone for my liking, and gamma target was set to 2.1 and achieved 2.15 (will be adjusting this around to achieve 2.2 but not too worried as PS should be adjusting gamma when open to 2.2 anyway, i think...

Thanks for the information Matt, I was frustrated that I was unable to get it spot-on...

One thing though, how do you go out of the Spyder software to adjust your brightness and back again? I'm new to Mac so still learning all the ins and outs....
When doing the calibration, as long as the monitor is the brightest light source in the room at the time of calibration, but also have been advised to get some 5000 Kelvin flouro's for my office as well.... I haven't yet, but I;'m sure this will make a huge difference as well...

Thanks again for the info, I will try to recalibrate again today....

Sass

MattCooper
20-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Even in the Elite software i still had access to the dock on the bottom and was able to click to it. If for some reason your display is working differently, open it up first then just alt+tab over to it should also work.

Regarding lighting there are a few considerations. You set the luminance and white point based upon the light where your computer is situated, so if you had 5000k globes and dimly lit area then the settings of 90cmd and 5000k could work, which sypder recommend for pre-press editing, they recommend for image editing a medium level ambient light with around 120cmd and 6000-6500k. Personally I find this was too bright to match to my prints. So I turned lighting down, and monitor down to 90cmd and had a slightly higher white point to get away from the red/warm tint.

Other thing to consider is the light conditions under which your prints will be seen, ie... if proofing under 5000k white point but viewing under 6500k light source once printed could have an effect on what the print looks like.

Despite the fact colour management is a technical and scientific to a point, there are lots of variations that make it so difficult to tailor to different situations. We will get there eventually!

Assassin
20-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Even in the Elite software i still had access to the dock on the bottom and was able to click to it. If for some reason your display is working differently, open it up first then just alt+tab over to it should also work.

Regarding lighting there are a few considerations. You set the luminance and white point based upon the light where your computer is situated, so if you had 5000k globes and dimly lit area then the settings of 90cmd and 5000k could work, which sypder recommend for pre-press editing, they recommend for image editing a medium level ambient light with around 120cmd and 6000-6500k. Personally I find this was too bright to match to my prints. So I turned lighting down, and monitor down to 90cmd and had a slightly higher white point to get away from the red/warm tint.

Other thing to consider is the light conditions under which your prints will be seen, ie... if proofing under 5000k white point but viewing under 6500k light source once printed could have an effect on what the print looks like.

Despite the fact colour management is a technical and scientific to a point, there are lots of variations that make it so difficult to tailor to different situations. We will get there eventually!

Thanks for the info Matt, I didn't mage to try it today, but tomorrow will have more time... before I could set the brightness in my monitor, it was set to around 200cd.... very bright, and it took some getting used to a much lower brightness.... basically it is set to 108 at the moment, only because I couldn't work out how to micro adjust the brightness...
The lights in my study are ordinary flour globes, but when checking colour always check in daylight... Bright sunlight is around D65 (6500K)

I will let you know how I get on tomorrow.... Thanks,

Sass

MattCooper
20-10-2011, 09:37 PM
Ah yes I get your point about the 6500k.

When I first got this monitor and set it up it blinded me with brightness, the room is usually quite dim so I dimmed it down straight away, most of the time running between 90 and 120, but 90 constantly now after profiling.

Georgeo
22-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Hi, I just got a spyder 3 elite for my imac (late 2010 model) also and am just in the process of calibrating it (after updating the software to v4 - v3 was telling me to put the spyder on a tripod 30cm away from the screen for some reason was trying calibrate a projector i guess and couldnt work out for the life of me what the hell was going on but anyway...) my room is very dimly lit, it recommended 120/6500, i accepted these settings and yes it has a distinct warm/red colour cast, but when I check my display settings under preferences, the brightness slider is at about halfway - there is no numbering here, how do I know if this is at 120 or not with no numbers anywhere??? do I need to change down from 6500? cheers.

MattCooper
24-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Sorry for the slow reply Georgeo, the cmd rating won't be written where the sliding bar is. The Spyder software (v4) should part way through the monitoring process (pretty early on) ask you to set your screen luminance. There is where you adjust the bar and keep updating the screen until the figure is at what you wanted. Will take some fine adjustment which at times can be a little tedious but it will get there.

Im surprised at 6500k white point that you would still have a reddish tone, at 5000k I had it but not so noticeable at 6000k. Perhaps because at standard (probably around 7500k) is quite a blue tint. So does look quite different.

Does this help at all? If not let me know and Ill try to arrange some print screens off the steps I go through.

Georgeo
27-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Sorry for the slow reply Georgeo, the cmd rating won't be written where the sliding bar is. The Spyder software (v4) should part way through the monitoring process (pretty early on) ask you to set your screen luminance. There is where you adjust the bar and keep updating the screen until the figure is at what you wanted. Will take some fine adjustment which at times can be a little tedious but it will get there.

Im surprised at 6500k white point that you would still have a reddish tone, at 5000k I had it but not so noticeable at 6000k. Perhaps because at standard (probably around 7500k) is quite a blue tint. So does look quite different.

Does this help at all? If not let me know and Ill try to arrange some print screens off the steps I go through.

Thanks Matt, at 6500k it seems to be ok now after doing a recal, but im still not sure what brightness I should be at (seems little dull wherever it is at currently - whatever that figure is...like I said I have my monitor set up in a dark corner of a room).

In the software steps nowhere does it ask me to adjust my brightness, there is the step right before the colour calibration happens where it measures the ambient light whilst the spyder is mounted in the desktop cradle and recommends the luminance and white point, then asking if you want to keep the suggested settings or not - is this where i go and change brightness and repeat this step again??

cheers

MattCooper
27-10-2011, 11:25 PM
Yeah the spyder measures the ambient light level and suggests settings. Then you either accept or decline and keep your own. It should then bring up the large white background and square box. About 1 minute in (20% into the bar) writing should appear to the left and below the box, this is when the light levels get adjusted. I believe it was introduced to being done this way in v4.0.

My mac also sits in a dull corner with very dim ambient light and I currently have my brightness at 90cmd. If your used to having your monitor fairly bright will take a while to get used to it.